"jimtravis.com", the personal site of Jim Travis from South Boston, Massachusetts (USA), came on-line March 30, 1998. I started this site to prototype the Intranet pages that I was developing. The department I was developing the pages for was the first to develop intranet pages within the company, and the employer's web servers were not set-up. Since I needed a web server to prototype the pages, I purchased this domain to use as a test site. After the prototype pages were completed and the employer's web servers went on-line, I decided to continue this site as a personal site. Please sign my guestbook.
Since this site contains information about my interests in computers, and technology in general, you may be surprised that my webpages do not have all the latest bells, and whistles. An important goal is for my webpages to be readable on mobile devices such as Palm OS, Windows Mobile, and other devices with internet access. Implementing the latest bells, and whistles, could result in my pages being too complex to render properly on mobile devices. I test my pages on an Apple Newton MessagePad 2100 as well. I have started testing my pages with mobile Safari (iPod touch). With mobile Safari, single column pages tend to require horizontal scrolling for each line when zoomed to a readable text level. Even in landscape mode, some single column pages display with at best an eight, or nine point font which is unacceptable for me. This too-small-font problem can be corrected by adding a META viewport tag with a width of 320 to the HEAD section of the webpage. I have added the META viewport tag to all jimtravis.com, and ConsultPDA.com pages except http://www.jimtravis.com/noview.htm. If you go to noview.htm with an iPhone, or iPod touch, you will see the difference in font size.
- Sail Boston 2000 (Tall Ships)
- Thumbnail pictures of the larger tall ships and the aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy taken during Sail Boston 2000 on July 11, 2000. The thumbnails are linked to a full sized picture. The thumbnails are small; however, the full pictures average 150KB.
- My Resume
- This resume focuses on my project management and computer skills.
- Loftus Genealogy
- My mother's maiden name was Mary J. Loftus. One of my mom's cousins, John Vincent Loftus, has collected an impressive amount of information on the Loftus family. I am proud to include John's information on this site. Thanks John.
- Palm OS PDA's
- I now use Windows Mobile devices exclusively. I am keeping my old Palm OS postings because they may be of interest to current Palm OS device users. My former favorite Palm OS PDA's were the Sony Clie TH55, Sony Clie UX50, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Tungsten C, and Palm T|X. My least favorite Palm OS device was the Palm Tungsten T5. This link includes what I liked and didn't like about the Palm OS PDA's, hardware/accessories I have purchased, third party software I have used, and my favorite Palm OS links.
- Windows Mobile and other gadgets
- As you read in the prior paragraph, I no longer use Palm OS devices daily. For the last 6 years or so, Windows Mobile PDA's, and Smartphones have been my gadgets of choice. My thoughts about my WM devices, and other favorite gadgets are available in a blog format by following this link.
- My Weight Loss
- On February 1, 1999, I started a major eating behavior modification and lost 70 pounds. Unfortunately, I regained all the weight I lost along with a 55 pound bonus by November 29, 2009. I am definitely embarrassed for weighing 125 pounds more on November 29, 2009 than I did in August 1999. I have wanted to loose a significant amount of weight again, but prior to November 29, 2009, I have not been successful. Follow this link for more info on how successful or unsuccessful I have been in loosing 150+ pounds since November 29, 2009 (hint - I have done very well overall. Unfortunately, I have gained about half of my weight back; however, I am now focusing on loosing the newly regained weight.).
- Montréal Vacations
- For thirteen summers (1994 - 2006) and for Christmas, 1999, I vacationed in Montréal, Québec, Canada. The reasons why I vacation so frequently in Montréal are included in this page. I did resume my frequent visits to Montréal in 2012 now that I have lost substantial weight, and can again enjoy walking around one of my favorite vacation destinations.
- Paint Shop Pro Examples
- I use Paint Shop Pro to create the graphics for this website and to adjust photographs, both digital and scanned-in prints. This page contains: how to lighten a picture taken at dusk, sample blending of two pictures into one, Washington D.C. picture tubes, and a Tall Ships (Boston) picture tube.
Windows Mobile / Gadgets
Daily Musings (new)
Jim Travis | Create Your Badge